Scenes from the
1893 World's Fair
The Columbian Exposition
Chicago, Illinois
by
C Graham

 


 

Scenes From the Irish Village

SCENES IN THE IRISH VILLAGE

There were two Irish Villages on Midway Plaisance.  One was Blarney Castle which opened on May 11th and was visited during the Fair by nearly every prominent Irishman in the world.  Under the patronage of the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen, the gateway was modeled after the entrance to King Cormac's Chapel, Rock of Cashel.   Inside was a reproduction of a cloister in Muckross Abbey.  The first cottage was a jewelry shop; the second, weavers; the sixth and seventh housed native carvers of gob oak; lace makers and seamstresses occupied the ninth and tenth; a national museum was in the eleventh, twelfth and thirteenth; and dairy maids displayed their butter in the others.  Lady Aberdeen lived at the village for a number of weeks.  With much fun and frolic along with patriotism, and frequent dancing and piping matches, the best of order prevailed and the Village was a success.

 

Home
Cairo Street
Foreign Buildings
Grand Court
Midway Characters
Montana Exhibit
Old Vienna
Scenes in the Irish Village
The Lagoons
The Plaisance
The State Buildings
Viking
Further Readings...
Bibliography
1893 World's Fair Links
1904 World's Fair Links
World Fair Links

Months in Ten Language

WashingtonMo.com

Signature Woodworks

Return to previous screen -- or use your browser's "Back" function
WashingtonMO.com Copyright 1998-2013

home.gif (1085 bytes) E-mail
Updated: 01/15/2013