Scenes from the
1893 World's Fair
The Columbian Exposition
Chicago, Illinois
by
C Graham

 


 

Foreign buildings Along the Shore

FOREIGN BUILDINGS ALONG THE SHORE

Considered foremost among the foreign structures was the German Building, located in the center of the picture, with the waves of Lake Michigan washing over the granite-paved strand not fifty feet away.  "The German House," located on the Midway Plaisance, was poetical; it had a hundred delicacies of color and ornament that all in Jackson Park were quick to admire and praise.  It cost $250,000.   The bells in the tall belfry were returned to the Church of Mercy, in Berlin, which was erected in memory of the late Empress Augusta. The cupola rose to one hundred and fifty feet.  The main portion simulated a chapel and its furnishings of sacred figures, organs, candles and bibles, bore out the ecclesiastical theme.  On the far side was a galleried house filled with rare books and a full set of Tauchnitz's volumes, and Handel's, Bach's and Mozart's complete works.

In the foreground is the left pavilion of the French Building.   To the right, a similar pavilion stood, and the two were connected by a semi-circular gallery in which hung many large paintings of scenes in Paris.  In the left pavilion was shown the administrative machinery of Paris, including the Bertillon method of measuring criminals.

 

 

Home
Cairo Street
Foreign Buildings
Grand Court
Midway Characters
Montana Exhibit
Old Vienna
Scenes in the Irish Village
The Lagoons
The Plaisance
The State Buildings
Viking
Further Readings...
Bibliography
1893 World's Fair Links
1904 World's Fair Links
World Fair Links

Months in Ten Language

WashingtonMo.com

Signature Woodworks

Return to previous screen -- or use your browser's "Back" function
WashingtonMO.com Copyright 1998-2013

home.gif (1085 bytes) E-mail
Updated: 01/15/2013