Franklin county, the tenth county in the state, is officially organized.
Oct 8, 1836
The portion of the present city of Washington was laid out as the town of Bassora by
George Morton, William Walker, Baldwin King and Andrew King Jr. on Survey No 2044, in
fractional Section 23, Township 44, Range 1 west of the fifth principal meridian. The
streets of Bassora running parallel with the Missouri River were Missouri Street, First,
Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth. Those running at right angles to the aforementioned were
Penn, Henry, Fulton, Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hancock and Boone. The town
consisted of 33 blocks, one of which was reserved for a market square, two of which were
for a public square, of which Block 23 was a cemetery. Thirteen of the blocks were each
divided into 24 lots. the remaining 17 into 20 lots each. for a total of 652 lots.
May 29, 1839
Original town of Washington laid out by Mrs Lucinda Owens. Containing twelve blocks and
thirteen fractional blocks, it was divided into 144 lots. The streets running parallel
with the Missouri River were Front Street, First (later changed to Main), Second and
Third. Those running at right angles to the above were Locust, Walnut, Market, Jefferson
and Lafayette. The original town of Washington was located in Section 22, Township 44,
Range 1 west. Though the plat was filed on May 29, 1839 and was recorded on October 1,
Menses addition made on March 2, 1842 lies above the original town and on the
Missouri River banks. Front and Main Streets extend through it and Second Street bounds it
on the southwest; Oak, Elm and Cedar Streets extend through this addition at right angles
. It consisted of twelve blocks, numbered 26 through 37.
Jul 5, 1850
Mary A Norths addition, July 5, 1850, lies southwest of the original town and
extends to Fifth Street.
- Oct 16, 1850
- Elijah McLeans addition lies above the Mill tract, north of Main Street and east
of Stafford Street. It contained three block consisting of twenty-two lots.
- May 8, 1856
- John D Stephensons addition lies on the northeast corner of Stafford and St. John
Street and contained two blocks divided into thirteen lots.
- Jul 10, 1856
- Schmidts addition lies west of Dubois Street and contained twelve lots.
- Jan 8, 1857
- Stumpes addition lies east of Dubois Street and contained twenty-two lots.
- Mar 24, 1860
- Murphys addition
- Nov 28, 1866
- Murphys second addition
- Apr 9, 1863
- Owens addition lies between the original town of Washington and Bassora. Siegel
Avenue runs through this addition and connects Second Street in Bassora with Third Street
- Jan 22, 1867
- Walkenhorsts addition.
- Dec 18, 1867
- Menkhans addition, and Lacks addition made shortly there after.
- Jan 2, 1871
- Freyschlags addition to Bassora, containing seven lots.
Return to History
Historical Sketch of Franklin County
Geneology of Missouri