HON. JAMES MING
Mr. Ming is a native of the Old Dominion, and was born in Campbell
county, May 16th, 1824. He left Virginia in company with his parents
when about thirteen years old. A location was made on the farm on
which Mr. Ming now lives, in 1837, five miles east of Washington, in
the bluffs overlooking the Missouri river. Soon afterwards Mr. Ming
went to live with an uncle, Wm. North, a merchant at Port William,
near Gray's Summit. He remained with Mr. North, employed as clerk,
till 1814, and then began merchandising on his own account at the same
stand. He sold goods there for a period of eighteen years, commanding
a large trade, there being no stores on the west nearer than Union, on
the east Manchester, and on the northwest Washington and South Point.
He also acted as Postmaster, while engaged there in the mercantile business. From 1859 to 1864 he was engaged in farming and settling up
accounts, after which he crossed the plains with a stock of goods, and
merchandised two years in Montana territory. He returned home in
1866, and the following year aided in starting the wholesale establishment of Barrow, House & Ming, on Main street, St. Louis. They
did an extensive business, but being satisfied with the outlook,
the partners closed up business within eight months, when Mr. Ming
returned to his farm at Gray's Summit, and again began merchandising
at that point. After two or three years he settled down on the old
homestead of his father, where he has since lived, engaged in farming
and in prosecuting the live-stock trade on an extended scale. He has
here one of the best farms of the county, and which commands the finest
views of any on the Missouri river. He also, in company with Mr. J.
Hinkle, has a large stock farm in Henry county (a choice piece of property), to further facilitate the cattle trade.
In 1868 he was elected to the legislature on the Democratic ticket, by
a handsome majority, and was returned in 1870 almost unanimously;
and while there, served on a number of important committees and was
distinguished as an active worker, though not as a brilliant speaker.
He was married in 1846, his wife being Miss Jemima Osborn, the
daughter of Wm. Osborn, one of the earliest settlers of the county.
They have an interesting family of five children, and have built up a
happy and cultured home, where the old-fashioned hospitality of former
days is preserved.
The name Ming points back to Germany as the "fatherland." The
ancestry were early in Virginia, and the paternal grandfather of the subject of tills sketch was a commissioned officer in the army of the American Revolution. Wollery, Mr. Ming's father, was a native of Culpepper
He was married in Virginia to Miss Dorothy North, and they
had a family of eight children, prior to settling in this county. Their
remains repose in the family cemetery, on the premises they settled on
becoming citizens of Missouri.
Franklin County Atlas Page 57